I’ve been wanting to make my noodle-free eggplant and zucchini lasagna but things have been sooo busy lately that I just haven’t had the chance, so I decided to create a simpler lasagna that could be made in the crockpot! Less prep time is always a plus when things get a bit hectic. This crockpot lasagna is fantastic, the only issue I ran into is that without noodles to soak up some of the liquid it turned out more soupy than I would have liked. I’m planning to play around with the recipe some more and I’ll let you guys know if I find a fix! That being said, it tastes like heaven and is packed with protein and veggies-healthy, simple, awesome.
- 1lb lean ground beef or ground bison (I used bison)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jar marinara
- 1 28 ounce can crushed unsalted tomatoes
- 4 medium sized zucchini
- 32 ounce container fat-free cottage cheese
- 12 ounce package light shredded mozzarella
How to do it:
Meat Sauce (super tasty on it’s own, FYI)
- Chop the garlic, onion, and bell pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat
- Add garlic and brown
- Add onions and bell pepper, sautee until onions are translucent
- Add can of crushed tomatoes and beef or bison, cook thoroughly
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the oregano
- Pour some marinara in the bottom of your crockpot, just enough to cover the bottom of the crockpot
- Slice zucchini into 1/2 inch thick pieces, and layer like you would noodles over the marinara
- Spread a layer of cottage cheese on top of the zucchini slices, then sprinkle with mozzarella
- Liberally spoon the meat sauce on top, and then start again with the next layer of zucchini. Repeat until crockpot is full and then sprinkle top with mozzarella. Set crockpot to high and cook for 6 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Can’t wait to hear what you guys think of this one!