While we were in Utah visiting Big C’s fam, his mom and I made the most amaaaazing chicken piccata. And when I say “amaaaazing”, I mean mouthwatering incredibleness (don’t worry, the post with her recipe is coming!). While we were preparing the meal, I couldn’t help but think how amazing it would be to create a gluten-free breaded chicken recipe. Once we got back to LA I played around with various nut-flours trying to find the right one, and finally settled on cashew meal. I love the nuttiness that the cashews lend and they really compliment the coconut oil which I use for cooking the chicken. This recipe is a great replacement if you are craving something breaded-it’s healthy and packed with lots of beneficial protein and fats (thank you coconut oil). Additionally, you can totally cut the chicken into small pieces and create your own healthy “chicken nuggets” for the little ones. I served our chicken with a light lemon and butter sauce and paired it with spring greens and kale with balsamic vinegar.
- 1 bag ground cashew meal
- 6-7 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- coconut oil
How to do it:
- Whisk the three eggs in a bowl and set aside
- Mix 3 cups of ground cashew meal with 1 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp salt
- Pour two tbs of coconut oil into pan and set to medium high heat
- Dip chicken into egg, then into the cashew meal mixture, making sure both sides are covered
- Place breaded chicken breasts into hot coconut oil and cook for about 10 minutes, flipping the pieces over several times so that they brown. May need a bit longer depending on the heat.
- Set cooked chicken on paper towels to drain off extra coconut oil
- Serve and enjoy! Pair it with anything from your favorite paleo BBQ sauce to a marinara (a la chicken parmigiana). SO GOOD.