I posted this awesome recipe on MamaHive last week, and decided it was necessary to bring it to you guys as well because it is just far too amazing not to be shared. This salad is so simple, light, and refreshing, and with summer quickly approaching (yay!) it is so perfect for those hot nights when cooking is the last thing that you want to do. Funny story: when I was pregnant with Little C, this salad was the ONLY thing that I wanted to eat; I had horrific morning sickness and it was the only thing that I could stomach. Strange craving right? The other craving I had was kale, I would sautee it with marinara sauce and capers…pregnancy is so weird. ANYWAYS. Back to the salad. Seasoned simply with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper, the vegetables are really allowed to shine, and it pairs great with anything from falafel to burgers to chicken (and obviously it’s also awesome on it’s own). I love adding a scoop of hummus to it for some protein, SO good. Enjoy!
- 2 large cucumbers (or 6-8 smaller Persian cucumbers)
- 4 tomatoes (Roma tomatoes tend to hold up well)
- 1/2 purple onion
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Kalamata olives, parsley, feta cheese
How to do it:
- Peel cucumbers and chop into small bite sized pieces
- Wash and cut tomatoes into small bite sized pieces
- Dice onion
- Mix chopped veggies in a large bowl
- Sprinkle with olive oil and lemon juice, toss to coat
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, toss
- If using olives, slice in half, and toss with veggies
- Sprinkle with parsley and feta if you are so inclined.
- Eat up!