Let’s talk about kale. A lot of people are not familiar with this nutritional powerhouse, and it’s time that we all became acquainted. Readers-meet your new BFF, kale. Kale is a leafy green vegetable, in the same family as veggies like cabbage, brussel sprouts, and broccoli. Considered a superfood because it is is PACKED with nutrients, just one cup of chopped kale contains over 200% of your daily vitamin A intake and a whopping 680% of your vitamin K needs! How insane is that? As if you need more reasons to try this fabulous superfood, it contains lots of different antioxidants, omega3’s, and more!
- High in fiber
- Tons of Vitamin A (hello better vision and clear skin!)
- Superb source of Vitamin C (great for battling colds)
- High iron content (iron is necessary for formation of hemoglobin and enzymes, cell growth, and more)
- Packed with antioxidants (specifically carotenoids and flavonoids which are excellent cancer preventatives)
- Great source of your Omega-3 fatty acids
- Lowers cholesterol
- High in calcium
For my vegans and vegetarians out there, great news! Kale has more calcium per calorie than milk and more iron per calorie than beef-so if you don’t eat dairy or consume meat, this is a fabulous option to ensure you are getting the necessary minerals and vitamins for optimal health.
For recipes with kale, check out this post, and look for a post coming this week for juicing your kale (because not everyone likes to eat their veggies-sometimes we prefer to drink them)! Thanks for reading! Muah! <3