Sometimes the hardest thing about getting in shape is not actually getting yourself into the gym but KNOWING what to do once you get there. Women in particular tend to completely bypass the weight room and head straight to the cardio machines. The issue with this is two fold: first off, you need to build muscle to burn for you when we are not active. The more muscle on your body, the more calories you burn while at rest. And cardio is not going to build that necessary muscle mass, which brings us to the second part of the problem. Cardio can have some muscle waisting effect, which is all the more reason why weight training is so important, and why doing the right kind of cardio (high intensity, shorter periods) is crucial for maintaining the muscle mass you are working so hard to create (which in turn will help you reach your goals). When I stopped doing so much cardio and started rounding out my workouts with weights again, I lost three inches from my waist in a few months. That’s a big loss-it speaks volumes to how important weights are. SO, with that said, here is your newest training program. Not sure how to do something? Contact me and I will be happy to help. Also, lookup any of these workouts on youtube and you will find step-by-step answers. Enjoy!
Dynamic Warm-Up (do this each day before you start in on the weights)
- Dynamic Warm-Up
- Glute Bridge w/ Reach 1×8/side
- Side Lying Windmill 1×8/side
- One Leg Glute Bridge 1×8/side
- Bottoms Up Turkish Get-Up 3×1 per side
- Adductor Foam Roll 60 sec/side
- KB DL (light) 1×10
- Pec Foam Roll 60 sec/side
- Y Wall Slide 1×10
- Bottoms-Up KB Squat (1-arm) 4×3/side
- Y Wall Slide 3×8
- Front Squat with Barbell 4×4
- Rack Deadlift from Knees 3×8
- Ab Wheel Rollout 3×8
- Suitecase Carry 4 trips (try and find a walkway with a mirror at the end of it so you can be sure your shoulders are parallel to the floor)
- 1-Arm DB Bench Press (heavy) 4×6
- Chest Supported Row 3×10
- Half-Kneeling Cable Push-Pull 3×8
- Foot-Elevated Push-Up 3/4×4/6
- Y Wall Slide 3×8
- Speed Deadlift 8×3
- Reverse Lunge from Deficit 4×6 per side
- Palloff Press with Overhead Reach 4×6
- Incline Barbell Bench Press 4×6
- 1-Arm DB Row 3×8
- Standing Bicep Curls 3×12
- Standing Overhead Tricep Extension w’ Cable 3×12
- Eliptical or Stationary Bike 60sec hard, 60 sec easy for 20 min. Finish with 10 min easy. (Remember that HIIT that we talked about here? Boom).
- 400 Meter Sprint (slight incline on treadmill) 2×400 meters Week 1, 3×400 meters Week 2, 4×400 meters Week 3, 3×400 meters Week 4 120 seconds of rest first two weeks, 90 seconds after that. Finish with 10 minutes of walking.
And for some motivation, check out these cool sports bras and the amazingness that is my new pair of training shoes for the weight room. Leopard? Yes, of course.