What a freaking mess this week has been. Between Little C’s pneumonia and pink eye and my glorious sinus infection I am sooo ready to put this week behind me. Thank goodness for easy, simple, healthy meals! These chicken “tacos” are so incredibly simple and good for you. We are pretty obsessed with Mexican food in our house and I love to cook classic South of the Border dishes with healthy twists. Like the majority of my recipes, these tacos have lean protein, healthy fats (yay avocado), and plenty of veggies. Talk about guilt-free comfort food! If you’re craving some Mexican, then dive into these fabulous tacos.
- 5-6 frozen chicken breasts (I prefer frozen)
- 1 large jar (24 oz.) of salsa verde (if you prefer a tomato-based salsa is great as well)
- 2 tomatos
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 white onion
- Head of romaine lettuce
How to Do it:
- Place frozen chicken breasts in crockpot
- Pour jar of salsa over chicken
- Cover and cook on low for ten hours. At 9 hours shred chicken with a fork and stir. Allow it to cook for the last hour.
- Wash and rinse romaine
- Allow chicken to cool some before spooning it onto the romaine “taco shells”
- Slice avocados and place on shredded chicken
- Top with chopped tomato, onion, and cilantro
- Finish off with more of your favorite salsa and enjoy! P.S. These are messy. Keep napkins on hand 🙂